|Prep the ingredients in advance so that your cake-making will go smoothly.|
Wednesday, July 11, 2012
Orange and Apple Ricotta Cake
Recipe from http://calcuttachow.wordpress.com/
Husband-Tested in Alice’s Kitchen
This cake is wonderfully moist because of the ricotta cheese and shredded apples and subtlety flavored with orange and amaretto. It’s perfect with just a dusting of powdered sugar and served with summer fruits.
9 Tablespoons of unsalted butter (room temperature)
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs (room temperature)
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 apple, peeled and grated (about 1 cup)
4 teaspoons amaretto (You will find this at the liquor store.)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Zest of 1 orange (That's just the orange part, not the white pith.)
1¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 pinch salt
(You will need a bit of butter and flour for preparing the cake pan.)
1. Heat the oven to 400˚F. Butter and flour a 9-inch pan. In a bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder lightly with a whisk and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar with an electric beater until light and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs slowly, one at a time. Add the amaretto and vanilla essence. Turn off the beater, and put aside.
4. Gently, with a spatula, add in the flour mixture, ricotta, apple and orange zest. Stir gently to combine.
5. Place the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top, and bake for about 30 minutes, until the cake is golden brown. The sides will start to pull away from the pan.
6. Cool in the pan for about 20 minutes. Turn the cake out of the pan, and cool, preferably on a wire rack.
Serve dusted with powdered sugar or dolloped with sweetened whipped cream with berries or any other fresh fruit along side.