Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Black Bean Chili with Butternut Squash and Kale

6 to 8 Servings
Recipe from Bon Appétit
Husband-Tested in Alice’s Kitchen

It’s now squash season! If you’re looking for a hearty, healthy soup to serve for Meatless Monday, give this delicious chili a try. It’s pretty and tasty enough for company. Top with chopped fresh cilantro, scallions or red onions, and grated cheddar cheese, if you like.

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 1/2 cups chopped onions
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 1/2 cups peeled butternut squash, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 Tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
3 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed, drained
2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 Tablespoon chipotle pepper with adobo sauce (I added this because I like my chili a bit spicy. This is optional.)
1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
3 cups (packed) coarsely chopped Swiss chard leaves (I used kale.)
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic; sauté until tender and golden, about 9 minutes. Add squash; stir 2 minutes. Stir in chili powder and cumin. Stir in beans, broth, and tomatoes with juices; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until squash is tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in chard; simmer until chard is tender but still bright green, about 4 minutes longer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle chili into bowls and serve

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh yummy! You've done it again AND it's Vegan? Oh I'm trying this this week!! I seem to have a bad memory of peeling off the skin of the squash but I'm willing to try it again since you say yes! and I love Kale...I'll let you know how it comes out!