Friday, July 16, 2010

George's of Tybee Mixed Greens Tossed in Honey Vinaigrette

Serves 4
Recipe courtesy of Savannah Bee Company Adapted and Husband-Tested in Alice and Ellen’s Kitchens

Now that you can get fresh mangoes, peaches or plums at Lost River Market & Deli, you must make this salad. My good buddy, Ellen, made this for me when I visited her last week. Her husband is a die hard meat and potatoes guy and he actually cleaned his salad plate! The original recipe called for twice as much dressing so Ellen gave me the extra dressing so that I could make the salad for my husband when I got home. He said, “This salad has everything in it that I like!” Ellen made it with toasted pine nuts. I had pecans in my fridge, so I used those when I made it. We all agreed that fresh peaches or plums would make good substitutions if mangoes are not available where you live. (I've halved the dressing ingredients for you, but you could easily double the ingredients of this salad for when you have company.)

Vinaigrette:
2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
¾ teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 Tablespoons honey
1/8 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
Freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup plus 2 Tablespoons walnut oil

In a blender or food processor combine vinegar, mustard, honey, the 1/8 teaspoon salt, and some fresh ground black pepper. Cover and blend for 30 seconds. With the blender running slowly, add oil in a thin, steady stream. (If necessary, stop blender and scrape down sides.)

Salad:
About 8 cups or so of mixed salad greens
1 mango, seeded, peeled, diced (Peaches or plums would be good substitutes.)
2 oz. goat cheese, crumbled (Feta or blue cheese would make a good substitute.)
1/2 cup dried cranberries or dried cherries
1 cup pecans, walnuts or ½ cup pine nuts, toasted

In a salad bowl, combine greens, mango, goat cheese, cranberries and nuts. Drizzle with dressing (just enough to very lightly coat the salad) and toss gently. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper

No comments: