Sunday, April 3, 2011

Scalloped Potatoes and Ramps

Recipe from About.com
Husband-Tested in Alice’s Kitchen
Serves 6 to 8

I found out this spring morning that I had a secret admirer!  Good news indeed since my admirer sent me a large bag filled with just-harvested ramps.  Rather than my husband showing signs of jealously, he asked me what I was going to make with them.  Since I had all the ingredients for this dish in my pantry, I decided to begin with this one.  I fervently hope that my secret admirer still admires me next spring when ramps are up because it turns out that I admire ramps! Serve these along with a spring salad for a nice Meatless Monday meal.  (This recipe can be easily halved.  Cooking time will remain the same.)

Ingredients:
6 cups thinly sliced potatoes
3 cups ramps or wild leeks (I left the ramps whole.  They looked quite pretty in the dish, but they made for messy serving.  Next time, I’ll cut the ramps into smaller pieces.)
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1/2 cup vegetable broth
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Preparation:
Place a layer of sliced potatoes in a buttered 1 1/2-quart casserole, follow with a layer of ramps and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Repeat layers, ending with potatoes. Combine vegetable broth and heavy cream; pour over potatoes and ramps. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes.  Top with grated cheese. Return to the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am cooking this tonight! I googled scalloped potatoes and ramps and you popped right up and my name is Alice too! 😍