Saturday, July 24, 2010

Apple, Green Onion, and Jalapeño Salsa

Recipe from Bon Appétit December 2004
Husband-Tested in Alice’s Kitchen

I have to say that my husband and friends absolutely loved this salsa, especially with the Cumin-Scented Beet Latkes. (Recipe on this blog.) It’s cool and crisp with a sweet sour taste, perfect with earthy beets. I think this would be delicious with a pork dish too.

1 1/2 pounds Fuji apples, peeled, halved, cored (I used Pink Lady apples because they were available.)
1/2 cup minced green onions
2 tablespoons minced seeded jalapeño chilies (I didn’t have any jalapenos, so I used 1 scant teaspoon of Sambel Oelek, which is found in the Asian section of Lost River Market & Deli. It comes in a jar.)
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
4 teaspoons (packed) finely grated lemon peel
2 tablespoons honey

Coarsely grate apples into strainer set over large bowl. Press and turn apples to drain off excess juices. Transfer apples to medium bowl; stir in green onions and chilies. Whisk lemon juice, honey, and lemon peel in small bowl to blend; mix into apples. Season salsa to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 6 hours ahead. Cover and chill.)

No comments: