Saturday, May 25, 2019

Muesli (Vegan)


-->
Recipe from Food52 Vegan
Husband-Tested in Alice’s Kitchen
Serves 4

I do look forward to eating breakfast every single morning.  For almost a year now, I haven't eaten anything after we have our dinner.  It was especially difficult at first, but I've discovered that I'm able to sleep better when I go to bed just a bit hungry. (If I'm particularly having a hard time with this, I make a big mug of hot chamomile tea to sip and that does the trick.)  In the morning, I'm powerful hungry and thirsty.  I begin my day by drinking a big glass of water.  I do this while I prepare my coffee and whatever breakfast meal I've planned for the day.  I can't begin to tell you how much better I feel doing this routine.  Here's a delicious, healthful, and filling breakfast to make in the evening.  It hangs out in the fridge while you dream away and will be ready to go when you awake.  

2 cups (180 grams) rolled oats
1/3 cup (50 grams) golden (or regular) raisins OR chopped medjool dates
¼ cup (30 grams) cashew pieces
¼ cup (30 grams) pumpkin seeds
3 Tablespoons chia seeds
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 ½ cups (830 ml) nondairy milk (I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk.)
2 Tablespoons real maple syrup (Not pancake syrup)

In a large dish or bowl with a lid, stir together all the ingredients.  Let sit for about 20 minutes, then give it another stir.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.
In the morning, stir again and add a bit more nondairy milk, if desired, to achieve the desired consistency. Enjoy!

Note: 
You can scoop this into mason jars for a quick grab and go breakfast.  This muesli is meant to be eaten cold.
You can use a variety of nuts, seeds and dried fruits here.
To guild the lily, add a spoonful of Homemade Berry Chia Jam and some fresh or frozen berries or other favorite, in season fruit.

Nutritional Info (1 of 4 servings with raisins): 288 calories: 16.9 grams fiber; 236 mg. calcium; 12.3 grams protein; 15 grams sugars (You can cut much of the sugars by omitting the raisins and maple syrup.)
Source: Calorie King App and my own brain. J



No comments: