Friday, March 6, 2015

Quick, Easy & Moist Whole-Wheat Muffins


Makes 12 muffins
Husband-Tested in Alice’s Kitchen
                       
In an effort to replace white flour with whole-wheat flour in my baking, I’ve been testing recipes that I wish to use for breakfast.  These turned out quite nicely.  They are not sweet like a dessert, but more like a light bread or cupcake. (Much to my husband’s disappointment.) I’ve had them plain and also spread with some almond butter to go along with my breakfast tea.  (Funny story:  My mother came to visit for a long weekend and, as always, she brought up food from her fridge.  (eggs, milk, veggies from her crisper drawer, etc..) This trip she brought what I thought was plain sour cream.  I had some sour cream leftover in my fridge too, so I decided now would be a good time to test this recipe.  I was in the middle of mixing the ingredients only to discover that her “plain” sour cream was the kind that had herbs mixed in for dipping.  (The container clearly said plain, but she must have reused the container.) Hmmm.  I had less plain sour cream than I thought.  So, I used some plain yogurt. 

2 cups white whole-wheat flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon cinnamon

¼ teaspoon ground ginger

1¼ cup sour cream(I used ½ Greek plain yogurt, I’m sure you can replace the sour cream with yogurt.  See comments above.)
¼ cup honey or maple syrup

1 large egg

¼ cup olive oil 

½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup raisins (optional)
½ cup shredded apple (optional)

Heat the oven to 375°F. Prepare a muffin pan with liners, or by lightly greasing each well with olive oil or baking spray.
In a large bowl, lightly whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger.
Whisk the sour cream, honey, egg, olive oil, and vanilla extract together in a separate small bowl. Make a small well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in this liquid mixture. Use a spatula or wooden spoon to gently but firmly fold the ingredients together, folding from the bottom up to make sure all the dry ingredients are incorporated. Stop as soon as the mixture comes together; do not over mix. Depending on the fat content of the sour cream the mixture will range in thickness from a gooey muffin batter to the consistency of very wet cookie dough.
Bake for 18 minutes or until the muffins are barely golden on top, and the top springs back a bit when touched with a finger.

Per 1 muffin serving (% daily value)
Calories 176; Fat 9.7 g (15%); Saturated 3.5 g (17.3%); Carbs 21 g (7%); Fiber 2.2 g (8.9%); Sugars

6.6 g; Protein 3.2 g (6.3%); Cholesterol 12.5 mg (4.2%); Sodium 318.6 mg (13.3%)

1 comment:

kevbayer said...

Sounds delicious. Might have to try it!