Friday, September 26, 2014

A Good Cookie


Yield: 2 dozen cookies
From Real Life Magazine
Husband-Tested in Alice’s Kitchen

My good buddy, Janet, made these treats for a recent gathering and then shared the recipe with me after I had eaten more than I’d like to admit.  Now, this is a cookie that you can feel good about eating.  It’s made with healthful ingredients and it tastes so yummy, that the challenge will be not to eat them all at once!  Serve these with a glass of cold milk or a cup of hot tea or coffee.  These cookies will be perfect for stowing away in your lunchbox for a mid-day pick-me-up at work or school. I’ve made these for my husband, but also for the fellas in the band and got an enthusiastic thumbs-up from all of them!

1/3 cup oil (I use sunflower or canola oil.)
2/3 cup Sucanat (This is evaporated sugar cane juice which has more nutritional value than refined white sugar and has a much more interesting taste.)
1/8 cup blackstrap molasses (This gives the cookies a real brown sugary taste plus it’s a good source for iron and calcium.)
1 beaten large egg
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
½ teaspoon Kosher salt
¾ teaspoon baking powder (aluminum free)
1 cup whole-wheat flour
½ cup wheat germ or flax meal
¾ cup walnuts, chopped
½ old-fashioned oats or multi-grain cereal
½ cup dark chocolate chips or raisins


Preheat oven to 375 F.  Blend oil, Sucanat and molasses well.  Add beaten egg, vanilla, and the salt.  Stir in flour, baking powder, wheat germ, and grains. Add walnuts and chocolate chips or raisins.  Use a Tablespoon to portion the dough out on two lightly-oiled cookie sheets (I use parchment paper instead.) and bake for 10 to 12 minutes.  Allow the cookies to cool a bit.  Serve with a cold glass of milk or a mug of hot coffee or tea.

No comments: