Friday, September 26, 2008

Deli-Style Pasta Salad

Recipe from Simply Perfect Pasta, a Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest Publication
Husband-Tested in Alice’s Kitchen

I had the pleasure of helping out for a couple of hours in the deli at Lost River Market & Deli last week. Linda, one of the deli chicks, asked me to make two salads for the salad bar. I found this recipe in a magazine I’ve had around for along time. The photo of the salad made me hungry, so I thought I’d give it a try. Linda told me that the salad sold out, so I take that as a good sign. This salad would be perfect for a picnic on one of these lovely fall days we're having right now. Bring along some crusty bread to go with it. The recipe for the other salad I made for the deli that day, Broccoli Salad, is on this blog too. All of the ingredients can be found at Lost River Market & Deli.

Salad Ingredients
7 oz. pasta (I used the vegetable spirals in the bulk section of Lost River Mkt. & Deli.)
6 oz. provolone cheese, cut into cubes
6 oz. Genoa salami, cut into strips
1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
1 small red onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
½ cup red or green pepper, chopped
2 medium fresh tomatoes cut into wedges
2 ¼ oz. sliced pitted ripe olives, drained
¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup snipped fresh Italian flat leaf parsley

Dressing Ingredients
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup white wine vinegar
1½ teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil or 3 Tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
1 clove fresh garlic, minced

Cook pasta until al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water and drain again. Combine pasta with the remaining salad ingredients.
Combine dressing ingredients in a jar with a lid. Shake the jar vigorously until the dressing ingredients are well combined. Pour over pasta salad.

No comments: