Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Orange Chocolate Pots (Vegan)

Recipe from Good Eatings
Husband-Tested in Alice's Kitchen
Makes 2 generous servings

Well, Good Eatings has done it again.  I mean to say that every recipe I've tried from Malin Nilsson's YouTube channel and website has been excellent and this particular one did not disappoint.  I've learned so much from her about vegan cooking.  This recipe was part of a Valentine's Day menu she created.  I didn't serve it for the big day, but I did serve it in February when we were all snowed in and in much need of a pick-me-up treat.  Now, about the dessert.  It's tremendously easy to make using only a few ingredients and can be prepared well in advance, perfect for a dinner party.  It's smooth, rich and chocolatey with a nice hit of orange. My husband thought it tasted very close to the Chocolate Mousse I've made in the past.  But this delectable version uses no eggs and is a bit more healthful.  To make it creamy, it's made with silken tofu.  It's sweetened with just a touch of maple syrup.  The only other ingredients are just a bit of orange zest, orange juice, a pinch of salt and, of course, dark chocolate.  Be sure to use vegan chocolate if you wish to make this 100% vegan.

175 grams or 6 ounces silken tofu (I used Organic 365 brand from Whole Foods.)
2 1/2 Tablespoons real maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon fresh orange zest
1 Tablespoon fresh orange juice
100 grams or 3 1/2 ounces dark chocolate
Pinch of salt

Optional: (for serving)
Toasted Pistachios, finely chopped; Orange Zest; Pomegranate Kernels; and/or Freeze-Dried Raspberries, crushed; Whipped Coconut Cream or other vegan cream

Place the silken tofu, maple syrup, orange zest, orange juice and a pinch of salt in a food processor with a "S" blade.  Blend until smooth.  Set aside.  Melt the chocolate either in the microwave or on top of the stove*.  Add the melted chocolate to the tofu mixture and process until the chocolate is completely incorporated.  You may need to stop the machine and use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl.  Pour the chocolate mixture into two serving bowls.  Chill for at least an hour or up to 24 hours.  

Notes: When you are ready to serve, add whatever toppings you like.  I think any toasted nuts besides pistachios such as hazelnuts, pecans, almonds would make lovely substitutions. When I took the above photo, I had forgotten to sprinkle on the extra orange zest that I had, but it does make a nice addition to the toppings, especially because it gives a little hint of what's to come :-)




No comments: