Sunday, April 17, 2011

Black Bean, Broccoli and Rice Casserole

Husband-Tested Recipe from Alice’s Kitchen
6 Servings

It was one of those lucky days when I had just the right ingredients on hand (most of which were left over from another meal.)  I had extra broccoli left over from making a batch of No Crust Mini Quiche and some leftover Indian Yellow Rice (recipes on this blog.) We always have canned beans around.  So, I thought I’d put them all together for a satisfying Meatless Monday dinner. (See Note)  All of the ingredients are available at our favorite community-owned grocery store, Lost River Market & Deli.

1 Tablespoon mayonnaise
1 large egg
Approx. 3 cups chopped broccoli, blanched
1 can (about 15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
½ cup cooked rice (I used leftover Indian Yellow Rice I had made the day before.)
1 can of cream of mushroom soup (I used Amy’s Organic Cream of Mushroom Soup.)
5 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
½ large onion, chopped (or substitute chopped ramps, leaves and all)
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I used ½ cup of Habanero cheese because I like things a bit spicy.)

Preheat oven to 350°F.  Beat together the mayonnaise and egg.  Put the mayo and egg mixture plus the remaining ingredients in a 9” x 12” casserole dish.  Mix well so that all the ingredients are evenly distributed.  Bake uncovered for 30 to 40 minutes or until hot and bubbly.  Allow to stand for about 10 minutes before serving.

Note:  We try to always have cooked rice or other grains, rinsed and drained canned beans, cheese and blanched vegetables in the fridge so that we can easily make quick, healthy, meatless meals.

No comments: