Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Quick Zucchini Sauté (Vegan Option)



Recipe from Smitten Kitchen
Husband-Tested in Alice’s Kitchen
Serves 2

I really don’t know why it always amazes me when simple dishes turn out to be so extraordinarily good.  I should know by now that when you use fresh, good quality ingredients (local, of possible) you can’t possibly go wrong. This side dish comes together in less than 10 minutes (veggie prep included) and is good enough to serve to company. The original recipe called for zucchini, but I only had some local yellow pattypan squash.  I also had a handful of local green beans that I didn’t want to go to waste.  I cut those into tiny bits so that they would be perfectly cooked when the squash was done. (If you don’t have green beans, don’t worry your pretty little head about it. This will taste fantastic with just the squash, I promise.)  I didn’t have sliced almonds, so I chopped whole almonds and they worked great, adding a satisfying crunch. To make this vegan, you can either omit the cheese or use easy homemade Vegan ParmesanCheese.  Frankly, I think that it would be a crying shame to leave off the Parmesan or Vegan Parmesan Cheese.
P.S. My husband said, “Wow! Mmmm!  What’s that bacon flavor?”  And I answered, “It’s almond magic.”

1 to 2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Tablespoons thinly sliced almonds or whole almonds, chopped
1 medium or 2 small zucchinis (or yellow summer squashes), cut into 1/8-inch matchsticks
Kosher salt, to taste
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Peelings of Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese, to taste (optional)

Heat a large skillet over medium-high and add enough olive oil to coat the pan well. Heat the oil until hot, but not smoking, then add the almonds to the pan.  Cook them, stirring, until the almonds are golden-brown, approximately a minute or two.  Don’t skimp on this step; they provide a depth of flavor that carries the whole dish.  Add the zucchini to the pan, tossing it with the oil and almonds until it just begins to glisten, about one minute.  The idea is not to cook the zucchini so much as warm it so that it begins to soften.  Season well with salt am pepper, slide onto a plate, top with cheese (if using) and immediately dig in.

Nutritional Information:  (1 of 2 servings w/½ Tablespoon Parmesan cheese) 97 calories; 1 gram fiber

No comments: