Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Slow-Cooker Turkey Chili

Yield: Makes about 8 1-cup servings
Recipe from Debbie Turner
Husband-Tested in Alice’s Kitchen

My buddy, Debbie, made this chili at Lost River Market & Deli Chili Cook-Off.  I can’t recall if her recipe won, but I loved it enough that I asked her for the recipe.  This is really easy to make, so make a batch, have some for a cold winter night and freeze the rest for another busy day.

1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 lb. ground turkey (I used dark meat.)
2 cans (10.75 oz. each) tomato soup (I used one box for Pacific CreamyTomato Soup.)
2 cans (15 oz. each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained (I used white cannellini beans.)
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
½ medium onion, chopped
1 Tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
½ Tablespoon garlic powder
½ Tablespoon ground cumin
1 pinch ground allspice
1 pinch freshly ground pepper
Kosher salt, to taste

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Place the turkey in the skillet and cook until evenly brown.  Drain off the fat.
Coat the inside of a slow cooker with cooking spray, and mix in the turkey, tomato soup, kidney beans, black beans and onion.  Sprinkle with the spices and stir well to mix.

Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.

No comments: