Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Broiler Beans, Onions and Peppers

Recipe from Martha Stewart Everyday Food
Husband-Tested in Alice’s Kitchen
Serves 4

This recipe is actually a part a flank steak recipe. I do love flank steak on occasion, especially the local beef I buy at Lost River Market & Deli!  However, when I make flank steak, I love it straight from the grill.  But when I tried this recipe, we thought the bean, onion and pepper mixture was delicious on its own!  So, now when I want a quick, healthy side dish, I use my broiler. The beans and peppers are loaded with fiber. The little touch of red wine vinegar imparts a nice tang.  Use this recipe also to complement just about any beef, chicken, or fish dish.

1 large red onion, halved and sliced 1/4 inch thick
2 red bell peppers, ribs and seeds removed, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 can (20 ounces) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 Tablespoon red-wine vinegar

Preheat broiler for at least 10 minutes so it reaches the proper temperature (500 degrees to 550 degrees). (Check with your oven’s manual before broiling. I have to prop my oven door open while broiling.)  If using a broiler proof rimmed baking sheet or sheet pan, set rack 4 inches from heat.

On a rimmed sheet pan, toss onion, peppers, and beans with 2 tablespoons oil, rosemary, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Spread the bean mixture evenly on the sheet pan. Broil, tossing bean mixture occasionally until vegetables are lightly charred, 12 to 16 minutes.
Transfer bean mixture to a serving bowl; toss with vinegar.


No comments: