Thursday, July 28, 2016

Slow-Cooker Chicken Sausage, Potatoes, Apples & Sauerkraut


Serves 2-3
Husband-Tested Recipe from Alice’s Kitchen

It was 8:30 a.m. and I was expecting my exercise buddy to arrive at 9 for our walk and weights workout.  By the time she arrived, I had prepped this meal for the slow cooker.  After our workout, I took a nice cool bath and then my hubby and I went into town to run errands.  By the time we got home, dinner was ready.  It tasted mighty good, but as with so many slow cooker meals, it’s quite “brown,” so be sure to serve a colorful fruit or veggie or a crisp green salad on the side.  The local tomatoes were ripe and ready, so I served those along with a slice of ZucchiniParmesan Loaf.  This recipe is a very loose adaption to the Braised Pork Chopswith Sauerkraut recipe from The Joy of Cooking. 

Cooking spray
1 (25 oz.) jar of sauerkraut (I used Bubbies Sauerkraut.)
2 apples, peeled, cored and thickly sliced
1 medium onion, peeled, halved and thickly sliced
2 teaspoons brown sugar (I used Sucanat. It is evaporated sugar cane juice, which has more nutritional value than refined sugar.)
¼ cup white wine
2 teaspoons dry mustard
¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
6 small red potatoes, a little larger than golf ball size, quartered
2-3 chicken sausage links, sliced in half lengthwise (I used Miller Chicken Sausage.)

Spray the inside of the slow cooker crock with the cooking spray.  (I used a small 2-quart slow cooker, but I’m sure you could use a larger slow cooker and double the ingredients if you have a bigger family.)
Drain off most of the liquid from the sauerkraut jar. (No need to press or squeeze.)  Add the sauerkraut to the slow cooker.  Add the apple and onion slices to the slow cooker.  Add the brown sugar, white wine, dry mustard and pepper.  Mix thoroughly.  Add the potatoes on top of the sauerkraut mixture.  Then place the chicken sausage on top of the potatoes.  Put the lid on the slow cooker and set the slow cooker to low.  Cook on low for about 6 hours or until the potatoes are tender.  (The sausages I used were precooked and so they are just heating up and flavoring the potatoes and sauerkraut.)  Remove the lid and serve. 






No comments: