Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Delicious Green Beans (with no meat)

Recipe from Alice Wootton's Kitchen
Serves 4-6

Here's how I make a "mess" of green beans that are quite tasty without pork. 

Fill a large pot with fresh green beans.  
Add about 4 cups of vegetable broth. (I use easy-to-make Homemade Vegetable Broth.)
Add a half a head of fresh garlic. (No need to peel.)
Add a medium onion, cut in half (unpeeled) OR some whole scallions
Add a large pinch of Kosher salt and some freshly ground pepper
Bring to a boil.  Turn down the heat and cover the pot. Allow the beans to simmer until they are cooked to your liking.


1 comment:

suzieQ said...

Hi Alice! I used to cook when I had my family, but living alone, I still like the idea of cooking and joke that reading recipes is my fiction reading since I do more reading than actual cooking.
I opened your post today (and pinned your recipe for cooking firm tofu...thanks, I am a curious newbie who wants to learn how to cook tofu). I adore green beans and just wanted to mention there is a supurb Chinese restaurant that I go to that stir fries string beans with ginger, garlic and sesame oil and it is very yummy. I usually get it with pork, which is another reason your recipe "spoke" to me. Sounds like you have a garden with some green beans that need eating.
Your style of cooking meshes with mine, so thanks for some good ones!