Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Classic Calzones

Serves 4
Recipe from Everyday Food
Adapted and Husband-Tested in Alice’s Kitchen

This will be more of a “how-to” than a recipe because there are so many ways to fill a calzone.  To make these even easier for a weeknight meal, prepare and then freeze the pizza dough in advance, then all you’ll need to do is thaw it, roll it out and fill it.  Then you’re good to go!  Below is the original recipe from Everyday Food, then after that you’ll see my adaptations and other options.

Everyday Food Recipe:
Olive oil, for brushing
All-purpose flour, for work surface
1 pound pizza dough, thawed if frozen (or whole-wheat pizza dough)
1/3 cup marinara
1/4 pound thinly sliced salami
6 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
Salt

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Brush a rimmed baking sheet with oil. On a lightly floured work surface, roll dough into a 16-inch round. Spread marinara on bottom half of dough, leaving a 1-inch border. Top marinara with salami and mozzarella. Fold top half over and roll and pinch edges to seal. Brush off excess flour.
Carefully transfer calzone to baking sheet. Lightly brush with oil, season with salt, and bake until golden brown, 22 to 25 minutes.

Alice’s Recipe:
Since the calzones were just for my husband and me, I used ½ batch of homemade pizza dough or whole-wheat pizza dough.  It was in the freezer, so the night before I made the calzones; I thawed the dough in the fridge.  I then preheated my baking stone in the oven to 425 F.  While the oven heated up, I sprinkled my wooden pizza paddle with cornmeal so that the calzones would easily slip onto the baking stone. I also sautéed in a bit of olive oil, about 2 cups of chopped broccoli, ½ cup chopped red pepper, about 6 fresh chopped mushrooms and 1 clove of garlic, minced in a small non-stick skillet.  I divided the pizza dough into 2 balls.  Then I rolled out each ball of dough on a floured board so that each round was about 8 inches or so.  I spread a thin layer of jarred spaghetti sauce (about 2 Tablespoons) onto half of each round, leaving an inch around the edge.  Then I topped the sauce with the veggies, dividing the veggies evenly between the two rounds.  I placed 2 slices of provolone cheese on top of the veggies on each round.  Then I folded the uncovered half over the veggie-cheese mixture.  I crimped the edges to keep the filling from oozing out.  I brushed each calzone with a bit of olive oil and then sprinkled them with a bit of sea salt. Using two large spatulas, I transferred the calzones onto the pizza paddle.  I opened the hot oven door and then using a jerking motion, scooted the calzones onto the stone.  They baked for 25 minutes.  Then I used some tongs to grab the calzones and put them on a rack to cool a bit.  Fabulous!  I think you could use any kind of vegetable cheese combo you like.  It seems a great way to use up leftovers. If you use meat, you’ll need to cook it in advance before filling, just like you would if making a pizza.
Other ideas:  
1. mushrooms, artichokes and fontina
2. broccoli, ham, cheddar
3. spinach, ricotta, mozzerella
4. chicken sausage, pear, brie
5. chocolate, ricotta with confectioners sugar, walnuts
Leftover veggies never tasted so good!  YUM!




No comments: