Monday, January 27, 2014
Tahini Quinoa (keen-wah) Bean Salad
Recipe from Kristina of FormerChef.com
Adapted and Husband-Tested in Alice’s Kitchen
Tahini (sesame seed paste), fresh lemon juice and a little chipotle chili powder make a tart spicy seasoning for this heart-healthy red quinoa salad. *Red quinoa tends to be a bit more on the chewy, crunchy side, while golden quinoa (regular quinoa) stays creamy. Green onions, snow peas and bell peppers make a delightfully crunchy contrast to the cooked beans and grains in this satisfying winter salad. Perfect for Meatless Monday!
For the salad:
• 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
• 1 cup red quinoa*, rinsed well and drained
• 1 Tablespoon olive oil
• 4 ounces crimini mushrooms, sliced
• 1 (15 oz.) can of black beans, rinsed and drained (Other beans would work as well.)
• ¼ cup green onion, sliced
• 1 stalk celery, diced
• ½ cup snow peas or sugar snap peas, sliced
• ½ bell pepper, diced (Yellow or red would work nicely.)
For the tahini chili dressing:
• 1/8 cup tahini paste
• 4 ounces olive oil (I totally forgot to add this and the salad still tasted great! So, consider this optional.)
• 2 oz. fresh lemon juice (Juice from half a large lemon.)
• ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder (Chili powder would work as well.)
Kosher salt, to taste
To make the salad: Rinse the quinoa really, really well. Drain it and then place it in a large saucepan along with the vegetable broth over medium high heat. Bring to a boil, turn heat down to low and continue cooking for 15 minutes, or until the broth is absorbed. Place the oil in a small skillet over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook 4-6 minutes, or until the mushrooms have browned and all the moisture has evaporated. Combine the quinoa, beans, mushrooms, green onion, celery, snow peas (or sugar snap peas) and bell peppers together in a large bowl.
To make the tahini chili dressing: Whisk together the tahini paste, olive oil (if using) and lemon juice. Season with chipotle chili powder and salt to taste.
To complete the Tahini Quinoa Bean Salad: Toss the salad so that all ingredients are evenly distributed. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss again. Serve at room temperature or cold.
Nutrition Information per Serving: Calories: 360; Calories from Fat: 162; Total Fat: 18g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 25mg; Potassium: 1064mg; Carbohydrates: 40g; Dietary Fiber: 7g; Protein: 13g; Sugars: 3g