Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Pineapple Chicken Fajitas



Makes 4 generous servings
Recipe from Taste of Home
Adapted and Husband-Tested in Alice’s Kitchen

If you like a bit of sweet with heat, you will really enjoy these fajitas.  This was a big hit with the husband.  It’s definitely yummy enough to serve at a casual dinner party.  I made Homemade Fajita Mix.  The original recipe called for dried parsley, but I prefer using fresh herbs when they are available and so I used fresh cilantro because I had it in the fridge.  I also used fresh pineapple instead of canned, but canned would certainly work.  Use fresh pineapple juice (or the juice from canned pineapple, if using) to replace the water.  The original recipe also called for garlic powder, but I used fresh garlic.  By doing so, you will add more flavor and sweetness.  For a healthier fajita, use whole-wheat lavash.

2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
1 Tablespoon olive oil
3 bell peppers, mixed colors, julienned
1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
2 Tablespoons fajita seasoning mix** (See note)
¼ cup fresh pineapple juice or water
2 Tablespoons honey
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ cup fresh pineapple chunks (or ½ cup canned pineapple bits, drained, reserving juice.)
4 whole-wheat lavash or flour tortillas (10 inches), warmed

This dish cooks up quick, so be sure to have all the
ingredients prepped before beginning.
In a large nonstick skillet, cook chicken in oil for 4-5 minutes. 
Add peppers and onion; cook and stir 4-5 minutes longer.  
In a small bowl, combine seasoning mix and water (or juice if using); stir in the honey, cilantro or parsley, garlic and salt. 
Stir into skillet.  
Add pineapple.  
Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are tender.  Place chicken mixture on one side of each tortilla; fold tortillas over filling.

Note:  Making your own fajita mix is easy, economical, and better for you.  I made my own and then had enough for this recipe and for at least one other fajita meal.  Here’s the recipe: 

2 Tablespoons chili powder
3 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

Whisk together all the ingredients. Store in an airtight container.

2 comments:

Katieannsmama said...


Hi! I am so happy I found your blog and this recipe! We had a local restaurant that served their fajita's with pineapple, but it closed, so I am super excited to try this one out! Thank you!

Alice said...

I'm happy you are happy! I think your family will enjoy this recipe. The filling even tastes great left over. My hubby ate some leftover on a whole wheat lavash (tortilla) and I had some leftover served over brown rice. Yum!