Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Pasta with Chicken, Tomato, and Feta



Serves 4
Recipe from Everyday Food, July/August 2004
Husband-Tested in Alice’s Kitchen

Don’t you love it when things turn out better than expected?  It was a rainy, lazy day at our house when I decided to try this recipe.  I wasn’t expecting it to be so delectably delicious because it seemed so simple. I used the Dorot frozen basil cubes to replace the fresh basil leaves, which I didn’t have.  I did have lovely locally grown tomatoes.  This had all the flavors I love.  I’d say this would be perfect for the lunch box, a picnic or a light supper with good friends.  I served this with some tortilla chips and a crisp apple. 

Coarse salt and ground pepper
12 ounces ditalini or other small tubular pasta (I used whole wheat rotini pasta.)
2 Tablespoons olive oil
3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 1 large lemon)
1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
1 pound plum tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch chunks (I used two large local heirloom tomatoes.)
3 cups shredded, cooked rotisserie chicken (skin removed) (I had made some chicken stock with a whole chicken the day before and used the leftover chicken from it.)
1 cup torn fresh basil leaves or 4 cubes of Dorot Frozen Basil, thawed

In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente, according to package directions. Drain; rinse well under cold water.
Transfer to a large bowl; toss with oil, lemon juice, feta, tomatoes, chicken, and basil; season generously with salt and pepper.
Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Here it is again.  I make this salad often when the tomatoes are ripe and
the basil is fresh.  Serve it along with some ice cold cucumber water
for a refreshing lunch or dinner.

No comments: