Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Turkey Breast with Mushroom Marsala Sauce

Turkey Breast with Mushroom Marsala Sauce served with sautéed broccoli and a simple salad


Recipe from Pressure Cooking for Everyone by Rick Rodgers and Arlene Ward
Husband-Tested in Alice’s Kitchen
Makes 6 to 8 Servings

I purchased a really nice pressure cooker several years back. I had an old pressure canner cooker with the little dial on the top which I’d used long ago, but it always gave me the willies to use it. I had visions of explosions and tomato splats all over my kitchen. My newer pressure cooker, however, has safety features which put my mind at rest, so I’m having fun cooking with it. Speaking of pressure, my husband has been pressuring me to empty out the freezer because berry season is fast approaching. So, I pulled out a local skinless, boneless turkey breast that I had bought at Lost River Market & Deli to make a quick dinner using my pressure cooker. What’s amazing to me is that it took less than half hour from start to finish to make this dish without heating up the house with the oven! While the turkey was cooking, I made a batch of whole wheat couscous (from the bulk section of the store) and sautéed some zucchini (from our buddy, Nathan) to go along with it. The mushroom sauce was just delectable over the turkey and couscous. I bought mushrooms from the store, but also added a few chanterelle mushrooms that Jim found in the forest. Lost River Market & Deli will soon have these local delicacies in their produce section. (The chanterelles are totally optional.) Oh, and by the way, my husband proclaimed this dish “scrumptious!” The turkey turned out especially moist and tender.

1 boneless, skinless turkey breast, cut in half crossway (This helps it to fit into the cooker.)
Kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper
2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
6 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced (I used crimini and chanterelles, but any mushrooms would be yummy.)
1 large shallot, chopped
1 clove garlic
½ teaspoon dried thyme
2/3 cup vegetable broth
1/3 cup Marsala wine
1 ½ Tablespoons cornstarch
3 Tablespoons plain nonfat yogurt or heavy cream

Sprinkle Kosher salt and pepper on both sides of the turkey breast. Heat 1 Tablespoon olive in a 5-7 quart pressure cooker. Add one half of the turkey breast and brown on both sides. Remove breast to a plate and set aside. Brown the other half of the turkey breast. Remove breast to a plate with the other breast half and set aside.
Add the remaining 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. Add the mushrooms, shallot, garlic and thyme. Sauté until the mushrooms soften a bit, about 3 minutes. Return the breasts to the cooker. Add the broth and wine.
Lock the lid in place. Bring to high pressure. Adjust the heat to maintain the pressure. Cook for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and quick-release the pressure. Check the turkey for doneness: An instant read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the breast should read 160° F or above. Transfer the turkey to a carving platter and cover breast with foil or a plate to keep warm.
Bring the liquid (with mushrooms) to a boil without the lid. In a small bowl, stir together the cornstarch and yogurt or cream. Whisk this into the mushroom mixture and whisk until the sauce is thickened. Season the sauce with Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Transfer the mushroom sauce to a bowl.
Cut the turkey breasts into slices. Serve immediately, passing the sauce on the side.

No comments: