Thursday, August 23, 2012

Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Indian Spice Yogurt Marinade


Recipe from Martha Stewart’s Cooking School
Husband-Tested in Alice’s Kitchen
Makes enough marinade for 1 pound meat.  (I used pork tenderloin.)

Use this marinade the next time you plan to make pork or chicken on the grill.  This marinade can be made in advance, so it’s perfect for entertaining.  You’ll be able to find these spices in the bulk spice section at Lost River Market & Deli, our favorite community-owned grocery store.

1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon coriander seeds or ground coriander
1 teaspoon fennel seeds (or 1 teaspoon ground fennel)
2 teaspoons mustard seeds (or 2 teaspoons powdered mustard)
2 green cardamom pods (or 1 teaspoon ground cardamom) 

Heat in a dry skillet over medium heat until they darken slightly and become fragrant, about 1 1/2 minutes.  (See note below.)

Grind to a fine powder in a spice grinder.  Place in a medium bowl.

6 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons Kosher salt
zest and juice of 2 limes
4 coarsely chopped fresh chiles, about 2 Tablespoons (I used 2 cubes of Dorot Frozen chiles, thawed.  Next time, I will use 4 cubes because I like things spicy.)
1 medium white onion, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used Greek yogurt.)

Puree in a blender or food processor.  Add to spices and mix well.
Keep chilled for up to 3 days.

Note:  I was in a hurry and had ground spices in my pantry and so, I skipped the toasting step.  Of coarse, if using whole toasted spices, this marinade would be even better!

No comments: