Monday, June 11, 2012

Fennel, Mushroom, Barley Stew



Husband-Tested Recipe from Alice Wootton

Usually, when I make soups or stews from what I have when I clean out the fridge, I don’t write the recipe down. I simply throw everything in the soup pot and cook away. But, I thought this was so tasty and perfect for Meatless Monday that I decided to record it for sharing. 

1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 fennel bulbs, (stems & core removed) and thinly sliced
1 onion or 2 shallots, sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2-3 cups mushrooms, sliced
Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper
½ cup white wine
2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup quick-cooking barley

In a soup pot, heat the olive oil.  Add the fennel slices, onion slices, garlic and mushrooms.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add the wine and broth.  Continue cooking until the fennel, onions and mushrooms are a bit browned and tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the quick-cooking barley.  Cover and simmer 10 more minutes.  (Add a bit of water or broth if the stew is too thick.)  Serve.


No comments: