Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Deviled Chicken Drumsticks


           

Recipe from Gourmet Magazine
Husband-Tested in Alice’s Kitchen

My buddy, Jean, raved about this recipe, so I gave it a try.  This was really very good and so easy to make, perfect for a busy weeknight dinner. To make it more healthful, I removed the skin from the drumsticks and used whole-wheat panko crumbs.  I also placed the chicken on a rack set on a sheet pan so that I wouldn’t have to oil or butter the pan.  These drumsticks came out crispy and nicely spicy.  Next time I make these, I will use boneless thighs because they’d be a bit less messy to eat, especially for a picnic.  With this dish, I served Lentil and Brown Rice Salad plus carrots, which I roasted right along side the chicken.  For dessert, I cut up some fresh local strawberries.

12 chicken drumstick or boneless thighs (2 1/2 to 3 pounds total)**
         1/2 cup Dijon mustard
3/4 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs) I used whole-wheat panko.
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
         3/4 teaspoon cayenne
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Preheat oven to 450°F with rack in upper third.
Pat chicken dry, and then toss with mustard until evenly coated.
Stir together panko, cheese, cayenne, and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Drizzle with butter and toss.
Dredge each drumstick in crumb mixture to coat, then arrange, without crowding on a rack that has been set on a rimmed sheet pan. (This can be done in advance and the chicken can be placed in the fridge until you are ready to bake.) Roast until chicken is browned and cooked through, about 30 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

**To remove the skin (which makes this dish much more healthful) simply use a paper towel to grab hold of the skin and pull.  The skin should peel right off.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just made some boneless skinless breasts with Greek yogurt to liberally coat and then covered them with crushed cornflakes seasoned with S&P, dried thyme, paprika and a little butter, and then baked them in a greased glass dish at 375 for about 45 min. Delicious!