Saturday, March 10, 2012

Soba and Greens Soup


Recipe from Janabai Raymundo
Husband-Tested in Alice’s Kitchen

My good buddy and cooking demo partner invited my mother and me to her house to watch old movies.  She prepared a fabulous luncheon, which began with this soup.  She shared the recipe with me and then I made it for my hubby the following week.  You can find all the ingredients at Lost River Market & Deli.

1-quart vegetable broth
1-cup water
1 inch ginger root, peeled and sliced
1 Tbs. tamari or soy sauce
1 Tbs. Thai fish sauce
1 Tbs. brown sugar
8 uncooked shrimp, peeled, deveined
Sheet of Chinese rice noodles or soba noodles, cooked according to package directions
12 oz. tilapia, shrimp, salmon, trout or tofu
Fresh spinach or bok choy
Cilantro

Put the stock in pot with ginger. Add everything except for fish and shrimp and noodles. Cook 20 minutes. Then add fish, shrimp or tofu. Cook 5-8 minutes. Be sure to adjust cooking times so shrimp doesn’t get tough. Add the cooked noodles. Add the spinach and cook just until the greens wilt and turn bright green, about 1 minute or so.  Garnish with cilantro.



No comments: