Monday, March 12, 2012

Irish Coffee



Makes 1 cocktail
Recipe from Joy the Baker  
Husband-Tested in Alice’s Kitchen

The hubby went fishing today, the first day we’ve had without wind, which makes him happy.  I stayed behind and read in the sunshine with our dog, Dash.  (I read.  Dash napped.)  When Jim returned from his successful fishing trip, I rewarded him with some Irish Coffee.  I needed him to test it before this St. Patrick’s Day weekend, when we’re having friends over for a dinner party because I plan to make it for them too.  If you don’t have fancy heatproof Irish coffee glasses, do what I did and serve it in canning jars. 

1 ounce Jameson Irish Whiskey
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
8 ounces hot coffee
¼ cup lightly sweetened whipped cream**

In a heatproof glass, stir together whiskey and brown sugar.  Add hot coffee and stir until sugar is dissolved. Generously dollop whipped cream atop hot coffee.  Serve immediately.

**To make whipped cream, place about 1/4 cup of heavy cream in a medium bowl.  Add about 1 Tablespoons of powdered sugar.  Beat vigorously with a whisk until soft peaks form.  

Note:  To make serving this a breeze for a dinner party of guests, I placed the brown sugar in the empty coffee carafe.  Then I measured the coffee grounds and water into the coffee maker.  I measured the whiskey into the glasses in advance too.  I whipped the cream and kept it chilled in the fridge the day of the party.  When it came time for serving my guests, I just had to press the “on” button on the coffee maker.  The hot coffee melts the brown sugar right in the carafe.  After that, I just had to assemble the drinks.  

No comments: