Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Sweet Potato Pie



Recipe from AllRecipes.com
Adapted and Husband-Tested in Alice’s Kitchen
Serves 8

Excuse me, but when my hubby tasted this, he said, “This is damn good pie!”  And to think I made it with a leftover sweet potato!  The day before, I had made Sweet Potatoes with Gorgonzola and Pecans and ended up with one extra baked sweet potato.  So, I scraped out the cooked flesh and stored it in the fridge while I searched for a recipe in which to use it.  The fellas were coming over for rehearsal.  They do love their music, but I suspect their main motivation is the dessert we have before we play music.  This is just the easiest pie to make and it was a huge hit with all the husbands I served it to. So next time you bake sweet potatoes, put an extra one in the oven and plan on making this treat for your family. 
  
1 (1 pound) sweet potato (I used one large sweet potato and it yielded 1 heaping cup of sweet potato flesh.)
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
½ cup white sugar
½ cup brown sugar (I use dark brown sugar.)
½ cup milk (I use skim milk because that’s what we always have in the fridge.)
2 large eggs, room temperature
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg 
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon or less ground cloves
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (9 inch) unbaked pie dough 

Directions
Bake a large sweet potato whole in skin (prick the sweet potato with a fork) for 45 to 60 minutes, or until done. When cool enough to handle, halve the sweet potato and scrape out the flesh. Discard the skin.
Place the sweet potato flesh in a mixing bowl. Add the butter, and mix well with mixer. Stir in the sugars, milk, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth. Pour filling into an unbaked piecrust.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 55 to 60 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Pie will puff up like a soufflé, and then will sink down as it cools.


Nutritional Information
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Amount Per Serving:  Calories: 389; Total Fat: 20.6g; Cholesterol: 85mg; Sodium: 254mg; Total Carbs: 47.8g; Dietary Fiber: 2.6g; Protein: 4.5g

No comments: