Tuesday, January 3, 2012
Sour Cream Bran Muffins
Recipe from Gourmet
Husband-Tested in Alice’s Kitchen
Makes 12 muffins (Recipe easily doubles.)
Well, the family left to go back home after the holidays and we were left with some ingredients I needed to use up. I had a large tub of sour cream in the fridge, so I decided to give these muffins a try. They were full of molasses flavor and moist, without being heavy. I checked the reviews after making them to see what variations people have tried. Apparently, this muffin recipe is pretty forgiving. I’ve included some of the variations at the end of this recipe. Can’t wait to try some of those variations!
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar (I used dark brown sugar.)
1 large egg, beaten lightly
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup dark molasses
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup wheat bran (I used Bob’s Red Mill brand of wheat bran.)
In a large bowl with an electric mixer cream together the butter and the brown sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy, beat in the egg, the sour cream, and the molasses, and stir in the raisins. In a bowl whisk together the flour, the baking soda, the salt, and the bran, add the mixture to the sour cream mixture, and stir the batter until it is just combined. (The batter will be thick and lumpy.) Spoon the batter into 12 well-buttered 1/3-cup muffin tins (I used muffin paper cups to save on cleanup) and bake the muffins in the middle of a preheated 400°F. oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until they are golden brown and springy to the touch. Turn the muffins out onto a rack and let them cool.
· Add 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon nutmeg and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
· Use golden raisins and reduced fat sour cream
· Use whole-wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour
· Use oat bran or wheat germ instead of wheat bran
· Substitute honey or maple syrup for the molasses
· Use blackberries or blueberries instead of raisins
· Use Tofutti (soy) sour cream for regular dairy sour cream
· Add ¼ teaspoon almond extract.
· Use half whole-wheat flour and half all-purpose flour
· Use vanilla yogurt instead of sour cream
· Replace the butter with 1 cup or 6 oz. of applesauce or replace ¼ cup of the butter with the same amount of applesauce
· Add a couple of Tablespoons of ground flax seed meal
· Use ½ cup dried cranberries, 1 ½ mashed bananas or ½ cup dates.