Thursday, January 13, 2011

Peppercorn Pork with Wine Sauce

Recipe from The Food You Crave by Ellie Krieger
Husband-Tested in Alice’s Kitchen


It was snowing again and my husband was out on the tractor clearing our long driveway so that we (and our neighbors) could get out eventually. It had been quite awhile since we had a meaty meal, so I decided to treat him with this really delicious dish. The entire meal, with the exception of the bread which I had made the day before, took me half an hour from start to finish. I served the pork tenderloin with sautéed spinach with garlic, Chili Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges, and No-Knead Artisan Bread. (Recipes on this blog.) For the pork tenderloin, I used Local Folks Mustard available along with all the other ingredients at Lost River Market & Deli. Oh, yes. The husband was quite happy with his dinner....as he should be!

One 1¼ pound pork tenderloin, trimmed of all visible fat
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
(I used Local Folks Mustard.)
1 Tablespoon black peppercorns, coarsely ground or crushed
2 Tablespoons olive oil
½ cup low-sodium chicken broth (I used vegetable broth because I think it has more flavor.)
½ cup dry red or dry white wine (I used a merlot which turned out great in the end!)
Kosher salt to taste (I didn’t use salt at all because I thought the mustard seasoned the pork perfectly.)

Slice the tenderloin open lengthwise, being careful not to cut through to the other side. You want to split the meat into one large, flat piece. (I used my meat mallet and pounded the meat so that it had an even thickness.) Spread the mustard over both sides of the meat and rub in the pepper, pressing gently so it adheres well. Cut the meat across into 4 even portions. (You could easily increase the servings by cutting the meat into 6 to 8 pieces. If so, be sure to serve plenty of vegetables to go along with the meat.)
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat until hot. Put the tenderloin in the hot pan and cook, turning once, until an instant read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 155 degrees Fahrenheit, about 10 minutes total. Transfer the meat to a plate and tent with aluminum foil to keep warm.
Add the broth and wine to the pan and cook over medium-high heat, scraping up any browned bits that have stuck to the bottom. Continue to cook until the sauce has reduced to about ½ cup, 8 to 10 minutes. Pour the sauce over the meat and serve.

Nutrition per serving (1 piece pork, 2 Tablespoons sauce)
235 Calories, 10 g Fat, 3 g Sat Fat, 30 g Protein, 2 g Carb, 0 g Fiber, 94 mg Cholesterol, 111 mg Sodium

No comments: