Thursday, October 7, 2010

Butternut Squash and Corn Chowder

Serves 4 to 6
Recipe from Martha Stewart Everyday Food Magazine
Husband-Tested in Alice’s Kitchen

It was one of those sunny, cool and crisp autumn days, so it was time to make something with butternut squash! I chose this recipe to try because it had just a few ingredients, all of which I had in my kitchen. A steaming bowl of this soup will warm your belly. Serve this soup with multi grain toast or some of Me Me’s Hoe Cakes (recipe on this blog.)

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 ½ pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch chunks (about 5 cups) (I used half of a large butternut squash and then used the other half for another dish.)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 box (10 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
1 ½ teaspoons curry powder
Coarse salt and ground pepper
2 cans (14.5 ounces each) vegetable broth (I used Pacific Natural Foods Organic Vegetable Broth, which comes in a box. I think it has good flavor.)
½ cup heavy cream (I used ¼ of a cup of heavy cream. Next time, I’ll try non fat plain yogurt to make this an even healthier soup.)

In a large heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high; add squash and onion. Cook until onion is soft, about 6 minutes. Add corn and curry powder; cook until curry is fragrant, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add broth and simmer until squash is tender, about 25 minutes. In a blender, blend half the soup until smooth. Return to pot and stir in cream; heat through over medium-low (do not boil).

No comments: