Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Sugar Snap Pea Salad with Sesame Dressing

Serves 6
Recipe from http://www.epicurious.com
Adapted and Husband-Tested in Alice’s Kitchen

I was craving something green, healthy and crunchy. Lost River Market & Deli had some really nice sugar snap peas, so I purchased them and searched one of my favorite cooking websites for a recipe to try. The original recipe called for fresh peas, but I had frozen Edamame in the freezer so I used those. I added carrots for color. I also followed some of the reviewers suggestions by adding scallions, sesame seeds and ginger, which are ingredients I usually have on hand. This turned out quite pretty to look at. I took this dish to a small dinner party where everyone seemed to like it. I had just enough left over for a nice light lunch.

Salad:
3 cups fresh shelled peas or 1 10 oz. package frozen Edamame (I used Edamame.)
2 thin carrots, peeled thinly sliced
2 to 3 cups fresh sugar snap peas, trimmed
3 scallions, thinly sliced

Dressing:
2 Tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
1 Tablespoon oriental sesame oil
1 Tablespoon (packed) golden brown sugar
½ teaspoon grated ginger (I used the kind in a jar.)
1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 Tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted

Cook the Edamame according to the package directions. Using a steamer basket, steam the sugar snap peas and carrots until crisp tender (2 to 4 minutes) (You can also blanch the vegetables.) Drain; rinse under cold water and drain again. Transfer to large bowl. Add the scallions.
Whisk vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, salt, and pepper in small bowl to blend. (Peas and dressing can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Let stand separately at room temperature.) Pour dressing over peas in large bowl; toss to coat. Season salad to taste with more salt and pepper, if desired. Sprinkle the salad with sesame seeds. Serve at room temperature.


No comments: