Monday, March 15, 2010

Bulgur Pilaf with Dates, Dried Apricots, and Toasted Walnuts

Recipe from Bon Appétit December 2002
Husband-Tested in Alice’s Kitchen
Makes 8 side-dish servings

This is a delicious side dish that I made with ingredients I already had in my pantry. I used chopped pitted dates that I had left over from the holidays, but golden raisins would make a nice substitute. The original recipe called for chicken broth, but I find that vegetable broth has much more flavor, so I always keep it on hand. As this was cooking, my kitchen was filled with the wonderful aroma of cinnamon, curry, onion and garlic. My husband gave this a big thumbs up, so this recipe will go in my regular side dish repertoire. This makes quite a bit so you could certainly serve this at a gathering of friends and family. You can find bulgur, walnuts and dried apricots in the bulk section of Lost River Market & Deli. Cinnamon sticks can also be purchased at the store in the bulk spice aisle.

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups bulgur
1/2 cup chopped pitted dates (Raisins or golden raisins would be a good substitute.)
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
1 cinnamon stick
2 teaspoons curry powder (I used hot curry powder.)
28 oz. vegetable broth
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped

Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until golden, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; stir 1 minute. Add bulgur and sauté 5 minutes. Stir in dates, apricots, cinnamon stick, and curry powder. Add broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer until bulgur is tender and broth is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Stir in green onions. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer pilaf to bowl. Sprinkle with walnuts and serve.

Per serving: calories, 266; total fat, 9 g; saturated fat, 1 g; cholesterol, 2 mg

No comments: