Saturday, October 3, 2009

Marinated Cucumber-Onion Salad

Recipe from Wynema Callaway and Husband-Tested in Alice’s Kitchen
Serves 6

Lick Creek Band performed at a housewarming party recently. It was an outdoor picnic/concert with lots of food. My plate was piled high with goodies, but my favorite dish was this refreshing Cucumber-Onion Salad. Bill’s wife Alice (yes, there’s another Alice) made it her task to search for the cook who made the dish so that I could post it on the blog. Lucky for us, she was successful. I tried it out on my hubby and my good buddy, Debbie, with a few substitutions because I didn’t have some of the ingredients in my pantry. I served it along with Moroccan Style Stuffed Acorn Squashes (recipe on this blog) and some roasted summer vegetables for an outstanding meal! All of these dished can be made in advance for a carefree casual dinner party.

6 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
1 cup white vinegar (I used a combination of white and rice wine vinegar.)
1/3 cup sugar
¼ cup olive oil
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon garlic powder (I used 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced.)
½ teaspoon marjoram
½ teaspoon lemon pepper (I used freshly grated lemon peel & freshly ground pepper.)
½ teaspoon ground mustard

Place cucumber and onion slices in a large bowl. In a small bowl combine the remaining ingredients and whisk until well blended. Pour over the cucumber-onion mixture. Chill at least 4 hours before serving.

No comments: