Saturday, July 19, 2008

Zucchini and/or Yellow Summer Squash Casserole

Recipe from Miriam B. Loo’s Family Favorites Cookbook and husband-tested in Alice Wootton’s Kitchen

I don’t usually make casseroles, but this one is addictive and I can’t help myself. (Well, actually, I help myself to plenty of it when it’s around!) This recipe came from a cookbook that my son gave to me on my birthday with the help of my mother-in-law when he was only 6 years old, and I can tell you that I’ve made this every year ever since. It’s quite colorful if you use a mixture of zucchini and yellow summer squash, which you’ll find plenty of this time of year at Lost River Market & Deli and the Orange County HomeGrown Farmers Market. This is perfect for those times when you’re asked to bring a “covered dish” to a party. You won’t have leftovers, so if you want some for lunch the next day, you better make two batches! It’ll keep for a couple of days in the fridge and can be reheated in the microwave. To make ahead, just cook, drain and chill the veggies. Mix and chill the soup & sour cream. Just before you’re ready to bake, assemble the all the parts and you’ll be good to go.

2 lbs. squash, sliced
¼ cup chopped onion
1 can cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup
1 cup dairy sour cream
1 cup shredded carrots
1 8 oz. package seasoned stuffing mix
½ cup butter, melted
Kosher salt, to taste

Bring water to a boil. Add a bit of salt. Place squash slices and chopped onion in the boiling salted water. Cook for about 3 minutes or until squash is crisp tender and brightly colored. Drain. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the chicken soup and sour cream. Add the shredded carrots, squash and onions. Add salt to taste. In another bowl, combine the stuffing mix with the melted butter. Spread half of the stuffing/butter mixture in the bottom of a 12” x 7” x 2” baking dish. Spoon the vegetable mixture on top of the stuffing, then sprinkle the top of the vegetables with the rest of the stuffing mixture. Bake at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes until hot and bubbly and the top is brown and crisp.

Serves 6

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE THIS RECIPE! Last time we made it we put cheddar cheese shreds in it and it was very good too. Tonight I'm putting in some diced potatoes too. mmmm!

Alice said...

I'm so glad you liked this. I'm a big cheese fan and firmly believe you can't go wrong adding cheese to just about anything :-)